Wesley College, a Uniting Church WA school, received the prestigious Australian Education Award for Boarding School of the Year on Friday 16 August in Sydney.
The Australian Education Awards celebrate the outstanding achievements of the country’s top performing schools.
“It is often said, the health and heart of a school is measured by its boarding community. This award reflects the wonderful work that happens in our boarding house, but also acknowledges the innovative facilities of the College as a whole,” said Ross Barron, Headmaster of Wesley College.
“To be named as one of Australia’s best schools is a magnificent honour and a tribute to our staff and their commitment to every student.”
St Margaret’s Anglican Girls School (Brisbane) was co-winner of the Boarding School of the Year Award.
The award recognises the most outstanding boarding school in Australia based on a range of criteria including:
- Consistently high standards of teaching and learning
- Academic and other achievements
- Rigorous professional learning to improve teaching and curriculum delivery
- Strong communication links with students, parents, teachers and the wider community
- Effective management of facilities, finances and human resources
- Demonstrated commitment to innovation and continuous improvement
- Provision of a supportive home environment focused on student wellbeing.
Rodney Steer, Head of Boarding at Wesley College, joined Wesley in January 2019 and said he was not surprised to see the college receive this award.
“Having worked for most of my adult life in boarding schools across the country, it is my view that Wesley boarding is the finest in Australia,” he said. “Our focus is not only academic excellence, but each boy’s personal growth and wellbeing, in a nurturing environment that understands the importance of community and relationships.”
Wesley College was also a finalist in the 2019 Australian Education Awards including Best School Strategic Plan, Department Head of the Year (Claire Leong) and Innovation in Learning Environment. And in 2018, Wesley College was named as an Innovative School by the Educator, the leading Australian resource for senior educational professionals.