Mundijong Heritage Uniting Church is celebrating 125 years since its founding. A commemorative service will be held on Sunday 2 December, 10.00am, at the church, 18 Paterson St Mundijong, as part of a range of activities
The church opened in January 1905 as the Mission church, the second in town after the Anglican church in 1896. It is thought to be partly funded by the Jarrahdale Saw Milling Co, in thanks for the care provided by Methodist nursing nuns at the cottage hospital in Jarrahdale during the 1895 Typhoid epidemic.
The name changed to the Methodist Church by the 1930’s, and it became a Uniting Church at its union in 1977.
Little information is recorded of the early years – there are mentions of weddings, ladies guilds (1933) and a handsome young minister (1950’s) in local newspapers, indicating regular services. The original kitchen was added sometime in the 1920-30’s.
From the mid 1970’s a monthly service was officiated by a traveling minister. Local members Eric Nairn, Norm and Arnie Marsh, and Laurie Manning were Trustees and ensured the continuation of the church.
In 1988, the local community led by well-known identity Peter Nairn established the Mundijong and Districts Community Church (MDCC), enabling weekly services averaging 20 to 25 people to be held.
The church was extensively restored and improved by MDCC between 1988 to 1990, at a cost of $30 000 raised by the local church and community. MDCC moved to Cardup in 2001.
The building was listed on the SJ Shire Heritage Inventory in 1995, its historical significance as the only remaining church in Mundijong being recognised. The Anglican church had been destroyed by white ants.
In 2010, interested Byford Uniting Church and Mundijong residents met to investigate possibilities at the site, leading to a revitalisation as the Mundijong Heritage Uniting Church and Community Garden, with bi-monthly or quarterly services, a robust community garden and several community groups enjoying the facilities.
The future we are building looks promising.