Gingin Uniting Church (formerly a Methodist Church of Australia) is one of Western Australia’s most historic rural churches, and will be celebrating 160 years since the first service was held. A service will be held at 10.00am on Sunday 13 July led by a former minister, Rev Harry Lucas, with an address given by the moderator, Rev Ron Larkin. We will also be dedicating a stained glass window in the porch on that day and sharing a light lunch.
Gingin was first settled around 1850 and soon after this a group of Methodists started meeting. The first service was conducted in July 1854 at the homestead “Creaton”, by the Rev William Lowe, who travelled the 50 miles from Perth on horseback. At this service, nine children were baptised. The last resident missioner, Neville Creagh left in 1953 and since that time the church has continued, thanks to the services of visiting missioners, ministers, theological students, lay preachers and members of the congregation.
In 2014, our church continues to be maintained by a small, but enthusiastic congregation, with outreach to the local community and beyond, and we hope it will continue to do so for many years to come. Anyone with past association with the church is very welcome to attend the celebration.
For more information please contact the secretary, Marian Crew on 9575 1357.